Learn to use Hootsuite: video tech tutorial

To manage your social media in an hour a week, you need a social media management tool. My favourite is Hootsuite and in this video tech tutorial you'll get an inside look at my personal social media dashboard.

This Hootsuite tutorial is not a two minute video (you've been warned!) but you will learn how to:

1. Set up a Hootsuite account
  2. Add search and list columns to cut through the noise on Twitter
  3. Schedule Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn posts

(You'll want to make this video large and possibly change the video quality so you can actually see what I'm doing.)

Hootsuite is especially great for managing and maximizing Twitter, but even if you don't yet have a Twitter account, you'll find the scheduling abilities for the other networks well worth checking out.

Do you currently use Hootsuite or another social media management tool? Do you find it easy to use?

What did you learn from this Hootsuite tutorial? Do you like this kind of step-by-step video? Please let me know in the comments below!

If you found this video tutorial useful, please share it with a fellow small business owner or solopreneur! And share it on Facebook and Twitter using the buttons right below : )

Like this content? Sign up for FREE updates!

, , , , ,

26 Responses to Learn to use Hootsuite: video tech tutorial

1. Carolan Ross May 23, 2013 at 19:25 #

This tutorial is SO helpful, Jackie. Thanks, I do plan to do this, will get set up with Hootsuite. Need a better system to social media management, and this looks perfect. I’d considered it in the past, but it looked complicated. I’ll be watching this tutorial again. Your video is very well done, nice work!

• Jackie Johnstone May 23, 2013 at 19:52 #

You are so welcome, Carolan! Let me know how the set up goes and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

2. Aleesha May 27, 2013 at 19:30 #

Awesome job Jackie! I’ve been wanting to set-up a Hootsuite account for a while, and after watching your tutorial I’m headed there right now to get started…thanks for making it look so easy! Great job :) xoxo

• Jackie Johnstone May 27, 2013 at 19:33 #

Thanks so much, Aleesha! I love Hootsuite and I know seeing all the columns can make it look complicated, but it really makes it super easy to manage once you understand how it’s set up. Let me know how it goes!

3. Carolan Ross May 29, 2013 at 18:56 #

Hey Jackie,
    In process of Hootsuite setup… what about if you have more than one account w/social media? Such as a personal FB profile and also a business one. How to incorporate both?
    I also have two accounts at Google+ and Twitter? Geez, I did create a SoloSpark account there but am finding it too much, never have tweeted there and may just cancel it.
    Thanks,
    Carolan

• Jackie Johnstone May 29, 2013 at 20:49 #

You most definitely can have more than one account with each service, like two Twitter accounts for example. And you can link your personal Facebook and your Facebook business page (or multiple FB biz pages if that’s how you roll.) For Google+ you can only add Google PAGES for the moment, not personal profiles.

[Add more social networks by pressing ‘+Add Social Network’ button under the tabs on your dashboard or by clicking your profile icon in the uppermost left corner and then clicking ‘+Add Social Network’ under ‘My Social Networks’ on that account page.]

It’s worth noting, however, that in the free version of Hootsuite you can only have up to 5 social profiles total. (The $8.99/month Pro plan allows you to add an unlimited number.)

From a strategic point of view it sounds like you have A LOT of social profiles for just one person to handle, Carolan! I’d definitely suggest taking a look at where you’d be best focusing your time & energy.

4. Denise Dare June 15, 2013 at 07:54 #

Hey Jackie,

Thank you so much for this helpful tutorial! You teaching is very clear and easy to follow; I set up my account, connected social sites, created columns, and scheduled messages…how exciting!

You are incredibly insightful and quite an expert with social media (and technology!)…I really appreciate your suggestions during our session yesterday & have already seen more engagement just based on a few shifts…asking readers directly, writing separately for Twitter & FB, Favoriting Tweets, and, of course, clarifying how I can be of service & add value to others’ lives.

Super excited to use HootSuite to add EASE to my biz world!

Thank you for simplifying my life, Jackie!

Peace, Love & Gratitude,

Denise :)

p.s. I will definitely share this…so valuable!

p.p.s. I just love hearing your Canadian voice…makes me nostalgic & grateful for my family in Calgary!

• Jackie Johnstone June 15, 2013 at 09:54 #

Denise, you are making me blush! : ) I’m so glad you found this tech tutorial helpful – I really love Hootsuite and I was determined to make it un-imtimidating because I know at first glace, it can seem complicated with all those columns! Can’t wait to hear how it helps your social media strategy in the next little while.

And thank you so much for the feedback on our mini social media mastermind session – I am THRILLED my tips are helping you already! : ) Let me know if you have any questions as you implement all the new stuff!

5. Marsha June 18, 2013 at 16:23 #

Loved this tutorial! I’m telling everyone I can about it :)

• Jackie Johnstone June 18, 2013 at 16:36 #

Yay! I’m so glad you found it useful, Marsha! I know you’ll never go back to Twitter.com once you get used to the Hootsuite interface ;) And thank you so much for sharing — that means a lot!

6. sharil July 14, 2013 at 07:51 #

can i make autopost using hootsuite?

• Jackie Johnstone July 14, 2013 at 09:14 #

Sharil, what do you mean by autopost? What are you trying to autopost? If you want your Instagram pictures to auto-tweet or auto-post on Facebook for example, your best bet is to set up a recipe in IFTTT (if This than That – http://IFTTT.com). Let me know if that helps!

7. Jeanne Meeks October 14, 2013 at 23:04 #

Hi Jackie,
    Thanks for the tutorial. I’ve started and given up on Hootsuite several times. I keep getting error message and I can’t tell whether or not my message actually got sent to Twitter, FB, etc.
    Your explanations helped enough so that I’ll go back and try again. The number of tweets you have looks mind boggling!

• Jackie Johnstone October 15, 2013 at 09:28 #

Jeanne,

I’m glad you found the tutorial helpful — Hootsuite can look a bit mind boggling ’til you know your way around, and the best thing is you can set it up however you want so it works for you! I hope you have more success getting going this time, let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
      Jackie

8. coach sportif lyon November 3, 2013 at 14:18 #

I am French and I do not know much use of social networks. Thank you very much for this good tutorial on Hoosuite that save me time.

9. Michele November 23, 2013 at 18:45 #

Hey Jackie,
    This was great. I just set up hootsuite and had figured out the basics but this definitely gave me some new ideas on how to use it. Thanks so much!

10. Michael Lugenbuehl January 14, 2014 at 22:48 #

Jackie, that was excellent. Thank you so much for sharing. I am just now starting to promote my first travel book for iPads, and social media seems like the best way to go…but how do I do it? Your video on Hootsuite answers the question. Thank you!

• Jackie Johnstone January 18, 2014 at 15:44 #

Glad it was helpful, Michael! It’s certainly not a promotion strategy, but using Hootsuite correctly will help you find your potential audience and engage with them!

11. Amanda Klausmeier February 4, 2014 at 19:41 #

Thanks for the video Jackie! I just scheduled all my tweets for the next week. Definitely takes the stress out of it when you’ve got so much on your plate. : )

12. Robin June 16, 2015 at 21:28 #

Hi. Just getting started with being more present on social media. A friend sent me your information. I’m reading everything and watching the video tutorials.

Is there a way to post something to all social media at once, or do I have to go into each link on Hootsuite to post? Seems so time consuming. I thought if I wrote a blog post, I could have a notice about it show up on all social media without going in to each one, either on Hootsuite or on each social media page. ???

Thank you!

13. Natasha June 30, 2015 at 15:42 #

Thanks for this tutorial, Jackie. I’m going to try it out and see how it goes. One question before I start. I heard that Facebook now has scheduling within your business/community page. What do you know about that? Is it something you would recommend? What are the pros/cons? I would think it would be easier to have all social media accounts consolidated into one place like Hootsuite, but thought I’d get your expert opinion.

14. Brittney March 18, 2016 at 00:04 #

Amazing tutorial! Thank you! :)

1. Manage Social Media Effectively in Less Time | SoloSpark - October 14, 2013

[…] an article about how to manage social media in only 10 minutes per day. She uses two main tools, Hootsuite and Buffer. She has published free tutorials to help you see the value and get started using these […]