Learn to use Buffer: video tech tutorial

Along with Hootsuite, Buffer is my secret weapon when it comes to streamlining my social media activities. Buffer makes sharing faster & smarter and, if you use it regularly, I can almost guarantee you'll see more engagement because you'll be sharing more great stuff, and doing it consistently.

By the end of this video tech tutorial you will know how to:

1. Set up your Buffer account
  2. Optimize your Twitter posting schedule to suit your audience
  3. Use Buffer to schedule posts to Twitter, Facebook & LinkedIn

(You'll want to make this video large and possibly change the video quality so you can actually see what I'm doing.)

Why should you take the 20 minutes to watch this tutorial & get set up on Buffer? Because it'll save you that 20 minutes over & over again, I promise.

Why Buffer?

When I come across an interesting article I'd like to share with my community on Twitter or Facebook, I could:

1. copy the url
  2. open Hootsuite, Twitter.com or Facebook
  3. paste the url
  4. craft the post
  5. choose when to send it (now or later)

But that takes time. And some days I read A LOT of great stuff I want to share so that's a A LOT of time.

With Buffer when I find an interesting article I want to share, I:

1. press the Buffer icon
  2. approve (or modify) the pre-populated post

Boom. It's done.

And it will automatically ‘buffer' all my posts to go out on the schedule I've determined. So, for example, instead of spamming my twitter followers with 10 articles all at once (which, let's be honest, no matter how great the articles are, that's annoying) I suddenly have 4 tweets set to go out today, 4 tomorrow and 2 the next day. And they are going to go out at the times I've discovered are best for my audience. Convenience, speed & smarts. It doesn't get much better than that.

Are you excited to give Buffer a try? Tweet about it!

What's your favourite social media sharing tool?

Is there an app, add-on or tool that you love? Please share it with all of us in the comments below! (I read & respond to every single one and I LOVE discovering new tools.)

If you found this video tutorial useful, please pass it on to fellow small business owner or solopreneur! I'd love to help make more people's social media lives easier. And share it on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ using the buttons right below : )

, , , ,

10 Responses to Learn to use Buffer: video tech tutorial

1. Jackie Johnstone June 20, 2013 at 09:30 #

I just found this AWESOME article on the Buffer blog on the Top 10 Secret Buffer Hacks — the quote highlighting trick I demo in the tutorial is in there but there a whole bunch more I hadn’t heard of! Check it out: http://blog.bufferapp.com/top-hidden-buffer-hacks-features-social-sharing

2. Sarah July 4, 2013 at 21:59 #

Fantastic tutorial Jackie! I’m gonna rock this Buffer thing. :-)

3. Michele November 23, 2013 at 23:54 #

This was so helpful Jackie, oh my gosh. I discovered you at the perfect time!

I also watched your hootsuite tutorial and there’s just one thing I’m confused about: do you use both hootsuite and buffer, or just one? I think it could get confusing to manage both. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

• Jackie Johnstone November 25, 2013 at 11:48 #

Michele,

Yes, I use both Buffer and Hootsuite — for different purposes. I cannot live without Hootsuite for Twitter especially and it’s a nice bonus to have my Facebook Page and LinkedIn account included on that dashboard as well. Buffer is AMAZING for all those articles you come across while surfing and want to share with your audience because it’s super easy to Buffer them and you don’t have to think “when am I going to send this out?” or make sure you aren’t sending too many at a time. But that’s just how I like to use them, experiment and figure out what works best for yoU!

Cheers,
      Jackie

4. Sarah August 31, 2015 at 01:01 #

Loved this, thank you Jackie! Does Buffer save your posts into a library so you can re-use past posts, or is it only Edgar that does that?

• Jackie Johnstone September 1, 2015 at 20:48 #

The only services I know of that keep a perpetual library are Edgar and Social Oomph. If you use Buffer, I recommend keeping the content you want to recycle in a google spreadsheet so you can re-upload as desired.

• Sarah September 9, 2015 at 05:46 #

Thanks Jackie! I’m going to start with Buffer and a IFTTT script that saves all my posts to Google docs (in case I do some on the fly!). When I have enough content, I’ll upgrade to Edgar I think!

1. Manage Social Media Effectively in Less Time | SoloSpark - October 14, 2013

[…] My friend Jackie is an expert social media strategist. She has published free tutorials to help you see the value and get started using these social media tools if you decide to do so. Take a look at these free tutorials about how to use these two main tools, Hootsuite and Buffer. […]