Create a custom Facebook cover photo using PicMonkey: video tech tutorial

You don't need Photoshop (or a graphic designer!) to make a great custom Facebook cover photo. In this video tech tutorial I will show you–in less than 15 min–how to:

1. Create an image, or collage of images, that is the exact size you need for Facebook cover photo
  2. Add text and graphic overlays to make the most of this prime real estate (and Facebook's recent cover photo rule change!)

using PicMonkey, a completely free, online photo editing service.

(You’ll want to make this video large and possibly change the video quality so you can actually see what I’m doing.)

Need some inspiration? Here are 4 great examples of custom Facebook cover photos that use text strategically (including one from a member of this community!)–give 'em a peek to get your creative juices flowing!

Don't let Facebook cover photo envy keep you from creating your Facebook page. You can create a page you're proud of, without any fancy tools. (Tweet that!)

Do you have Facebook cover photo envy? Have you used PicMonkey before?

Don't forget to share your updated cover photo with us! Leave your Facebook page URL in the comments so we can check it out (& give it a like!). Let me know if you enjoyed this video tutorial, and please ask any questions you might have. (I read & respond to every single one.)

If you found this video tutorial useful, I'd love if you shared it with a fellow Facebook page owner who might want to update their own cover photo! And please share it on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ using the buttons right below : )

, , , , ,

36 Responses to Create a custom Facebook cover photo using PicMonkey: video tech tutorial

1. Andrea July 24, 2013 at 19:39 #

SUPER helpful tutorial, Jackie!! I’ve been doing this in PowerPoint, if you can believe that! Can’t wait to upgrade thanks to you. :)

• Jackie Johnstone July 24, 2013 at 20:12 #

So glad to help, Andrea! Would love to see what you create : )

2. Shannon July 25, 2013 at 16:35 #

Love this, Jackie, thanks for posting!! So easy and FUN!! Here is my page (I just created it yesterday, so this tutorial was perfect timing!)

• Jackie Johnstone July 25, 2013 at 16:44 #

Shannon, nice work! Thanks so much for sharing and I’m happy this was timely for you.

Quick suggestion: fill in that cover photo’s description field so that when people click through they see a little blurb about your services and that contact address to email for a session. An example right at the bottom of this post: http://jackiejohnstone.com/2013/07/facebook-cover-photo-rules-update/ (where it says BONUS TIP).

• Shannon July 25, 2013 at 17:40 #

Great, thanks Jackie for the advice – DONE! :)

• sharona July 27, 2013 at 01:08 #

You ROCK!

3. Jennifer Hatfield (@TherapyLearnSvc) July 26, 2013 at 17:53 #

Jackie! As a communication specialist I love your tutorial on many levels. First off, I needed the information but other reasons are: you spoke clearly, concisely and you gave GREAT information. Thank you! The perfect information at the perfect time for me.

• Jackie Johnstone July 26, 2013 at 17:57 #

Ooh, Jennifer, you just made my Friday! I am SO happy you found the tutorial helpful and I really appreciate the feedback on my delivery.

4. Meike July 26, 2013 at 21:01 #

Hi Jackie!
    Thank you sooo much for this video! It really helped me a lot and I will come back soon. Still not perfect but here is what I created so far: https://www.facebook.com/jovegpetcare
    I find it hard to chose what to do because there are so many options. :)

• Jackie Johnstone July 27, 2013 at 10:18 #

Nice job, Meike! I LOVE your cover image collage. That dog is beyond perfect – I just want to kiss his cute little face!

Quick suggestion: As I advised Shannon above, definitely fill in that cover photo’s description field so that when people click through they see a little blurb about your pet care line and a link to more info on your website. An example right at the bottom of this post: http://jackiejohnstone.com/2013/07/facebook-cover-photo-rules-update/ (where it says BONUS TIP).

• Meike July 27, 2013 at 11:34 #

Thanks a lot! I will improve it! :)

5. Doreen Dove July 26, 2013 at 23:06 #

Great info Jackie!
    How do I add links to the text boxes? Are we able to have several links or does the whole jpg link?
    Doreen

• Jackie Johnstone July 27, 2013 at 10:16 #

Doreen,

Since it’s a Facebook cover photo, when someone clicks on it they’ll get the usual Facebook photo-viewing lightbox popping up. So use that photo description field to put more info & the relevant URL. You can put more than one link in the photo description but be wary, if you put in too many calls-to-action, people tend to get confused. I would try to stick to one main action (& URL) you want people to do/click. (See an example right at the bottom of this post: http://jackiejohnstone.com/2013/07/facebook-cover-photo-rules-update/ –where it says BONUS TIP.) Does that help?

6. Kristen July 30, 2013 at 00:11 #

Hi Jackie,

Awesome tutorial. Succinct and informative. I also love your creative eye, very inspiring. Question for you, how often do you think cover photos should be updated?

• Jackie Johnstone July 30, 2013 at 10:16 #

Kristen,

I don’t personally think there is a hard & fast rule. Obviously if you are using your cover photo to promote a specific product or program, you’ll want to keep it current, but otherwise it’s really up to you. Many of your fans (probably the majority) interact with your posts solely through their news feed, which means don’t see your cover photo at all (for the moment in any case – Facebook is currently testing & tweaking a new version of the Facebook news feed layout that makes cover photos more prominent) — it’s mainly new fans that land on your page that will see your cover, so that’s a good thing to keep in mind!

Some potential tactics I’ve seen work:

1) Seasonal cover changes (if that resonates for your biz)
      2) A standard branded cover photo with evergreen info (like what you do & your website) that goes up whenever you don’t have a offer-specific image running
      3) Fan-centered cover photos that change every week/month to spotlight a new testimonial, fan-submitted photos/art, etc.

Does that help?

7. Tamara Glennon July 30, 2013 at 20:16 #

This is the greatest tutorial I have seen! I am in the process of getting our facebook page up and running. It has been challenging though because I have had a hard time relating all of these tactics to my real estate business facebook page. This is currently what we have now and I am trying to tweek it so that it stands out. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

• Jackie Johnstone July 31, 2013 at 18:04 #

Tamara,

That link isn’t working for me! Double-check it and try again – I’d love to take a peek at your page. And, what exactly is tripping you up when it comes to applying tactics to your real estate page? I’m happy to help if I can! (And it might make a great blog post : )

• Tamara Glennon July 31, 2013 at 23:10 #

Man I really need help then! LOL When I am on my facebook page this is the link that shows…

We are HIll Harbor Group at RE/MAX Professionals. Could you find it that way by searching on facebook?

Darn because now I am really stumped and would love your insight!

• Jackie Johnstone August 1, 2013 at 11:25 #

Tamara,

Is it possible the page isn’t published (made public) yet? You’ll see a little “This page has not been published” notice at the top of your page under ‘Admin Panel’ if this is the case. I’m still not seeing anything when I click that URL (it just redirects me to my home feed) and I’m not having any luck with Facebook search (although that’s not saying much because I find their search pretty useless in general) : ( Check the page’s published status and if that’s not the answer, let me know and we’ll jump on email and troubleshoot this together!

• Tamara Glennon August 1, 2013 at 15:52 #

I have checked and it is published. I have gotten a few new likes recently so I would think it would have to be published. I also checked under my setting and it says the page address is

Could we chat on email? Do I need to sign up for a service? I would love your insight as to how I can really utilize FB to generate more leads. How to use facebooks offers for our real estate. It is hard to do an offer because in real estate you can’t really offer anything tangible. Please HELP! :)

• Jackie Johnstone August 1, 2013 at 15:55 #

Yes, let’s chat by email: jackie[AT]jackiejohnstone.com — I’m determined to get to the bottom of this!

8. Chris Abrams August 1, 2013 at 19:47 #

Jackie: Thank you for the informative & easy to follow video. I implemented your techniques at https://www.facebook.com/insurancepluswealth

Thanks again,
    Chris

• Jackie Johnstone August 1, 2013 at 19:52 #

Nice work, Chris! I love your calls-to-action to Like & Click for more info + the link in your photo description. Let us know how it works out for you! (Keep an eye on your analytics to see if you get more traffic from Facebook to that landing page for example.)

9. Tamara Glennon August 2, 2013 at 05:24 #

I sent you an email to hopefully troubleshoot! Thank you!

10. Sue November 22, 2013 at 03:53 #

Hello, Jackie, I loved your tutorial on using PicMonkey to create FB Cover Photos.

How do you add a clickable link or make one of the small photos clickable on the cover photo to opt in for a free gift?

And do you link to a program such as LeadPages on the back end of the clickable opt in photo?

No one seems to have a video for this – over to you, Jackie!

• Jackie Johnstone November 25, 2013 at 11:50 #

Hey Sue!

So you can’t actually add a clickable link. But the whole photo itself is clickable and if someone clicks, it’ll pop up in that photo viewing ‘lightbox’ — use the photo’s ‘description’ field to put in more info on your free gift and the link or instructions on how they can get it! Some examples here: http://jackiejohnstone.com/2013/07/facebook-cover-photo-rules-update/

Cheers,
      Jackie

11. Jo-Ann November 25, 2013 at 21:51 #

Hi and thanks for the helpful tutorial! I have a problem though. Text and cutouts that I use in Pic Monkey looks great in the program but when I upload it to FB it has a halo and looks really bad. I am saving on the highest resolution. Any suggestions for that? Thanks.

• Jackie Johnstone November 26, 2013 at 12:07 #

Jo-Ann,

I know what you mean and apparently it’s a problem with Facebook’s image compression (they compress images so they don’t take up too much space or time to load) — So maybe don’t save them on the highest resolution? Also I’d try saving them as .png instead of .jpg, I’ve found this can help. PicMonkey says this is the worst when the words are on a solid coloured background so keep that in mind as well when creating images especially for Facebook.

Hope that helps!

Jackie

• Jo-Ann November 26, 2013 at 19:58 #

Thanks for your reply! Good call! I didn’t realize you could save as PNG! Ok. Maybe I’ll give it another shot then. :-)

12. Becky March 18, 2014 at 21:32 #

Hey Jackie!
    THANK YOU for such a great, step-by-step tutorial! Very helpful. My only question is: I have a thin, colored overlay across the bottom like you do in the video. But when I view my cover from someone else’s account, their ‘friend’ and ‘message’ buttons obscure the text along the bottom of my cover. If I make the over lay thicker and move the text up (to sit above the viewer’s buttons) then the text looks out of balance when someone clicks on it to view. Does that matter? Is there a way around it or should I 86 the overlay and text along the bottom of the cover?
    Thanks so much for your expertise!

• Jackie Johnstone March 18, 2014 at 21:43 #

You are so welcome, Becky!

If you are talking about the ‘Friend’ and ‘Message’ buttons, I assume you are creating a cover photo for your personal profile? Because on a Business Page, you wouldn’t have any button overlaying the image. SO, that being said, I’d definitely try to work around the button positions — if you don’t like the look of making the overlay thicker and floating the words higher up then what about flipping it and putting the overlay + text along the top? Since there is no ‘like’ button to drive people towards on your personal profile, this might work.

I’d be happy to take a look at what you’ve got if you want some more ideas! Just drop me an email or FB msg : )

13. Christiane March 24, 2014 at 17:53 #

This is GREAT, Jackie. Just updated my public profile pic with Pic Monkey. Thank you for this awesome tutorial.

14. Michelle Ayers July 5, 2017 at 17:29 #

Your tutorial is TERRIFIC! Here is my page: https://www.facebook.com/elder.medicaid.management.assistance.llc/?fref=nf

I have one question, though, I need to make more spacing between bottom of pics and green banner.I’m not seeing how to go back and do that…if it is not too much trouble can you give me the steps to go back and do so? MUCH appreciated – Michelle A. in New Jersey