How to get Facebook famous: interview with Brandon Wagner

I hear complaints pretty much DAILY about Facebook and how the algorithm changes are “keeping businesses from reaching their fans” and how you can no longer be successful on Facebook unless you “pay to play” and take out Facebook ads.

I've shared how I feel about the panic (hint: I think it's overblown). Yes, Facebook has made some changes. Yes, there is more competition these days. But I still wholeheartedly believe Facebook is a valuable place for businesses to engage with their audience. (I rarely pay for any Facebook advertising and over a third of my traffic and nearly half of my newsletter subscribers come from Facebook).

So when I ran into Brandon Wagner sharing his amazing success on Facebook in a group of business owners we are part of, I immediately asked him if he'd be willing to share his story and his exact strategies with us.

And lucky for us, he generously said yes and I sat down to chat with him not once, but twice. (Because a tech mishap on my end caused my recording to cut out after only 2 minutes the first time…doh!)

Brandon is the inventor and owner of Easy Garden Bag and his Facebook Page is barely a month old. He currently has 1,075 likes and a whopping 1,364 people ‘talking about this'.

And he hasn't paid for a single Facebook ad since he threw away about $8 in the very early of days of his Page.

Facebook famous: Easy Garden Bag Facebook Page

In our jam-packed conversation Brandon shares:

• the exact strategy he has used to grow his Page so rapidly,
  • where he goes to find all the great content he shares on his Page, and
  • the 3 key places on your Facebook Page you should be taking advantage of to turn your fans into subscribers

Notes from our chat:

I'd love to hear from you

Did you enjoy this interview? What was your biggest takeaway? If you have any questions, please ask away in the comments!

And if you found it useful, please pass it on to some fellow biz owners using the Facebook, Twitter and Google+ buttons right below.

, ,

34 Responses to How to get Facebook famous: interview with Brandon Wagner

1. Farideh April 3, 2014 at 22:48 #

Whoa! This is a GREAT interview. I’ve learned soooo much. Seriously! Two geniuses in one call. So fantastic.

• Jackie Johnstone April 3, 2014 at 22:54 #

Thanks Farideh!! What Brandon has done with his Page is really inspiring. I really enjoyed picking his brain : )

2. Brandon April 3, 2014 at 23:11 #

Such a pleasure! Stoked to give this information to the world!

Go on and rock Facebook people.

• Jackie Johnstone April 3, 2014 at 23:14 #

Thank you again for your time & for sharing this with us, Brandon!

3. Brianna Nash April 3, 2014 at 23:22 #

LOVE this!

4. Megan April 3, 2014 at 23:27 #

Wow! Such great information! Definitely something to think about. Back in December, I was posting everyday on my page, but when the amount of “reach” plummeted I got frustrated and stopped posting so often. I found that if I post everyday less people see my posts, whereas if I post one important thing a week it got a pretty good amount of views. So that’s just what I’ve been doing. Not sure it’s the most effective.

Now I’m just trying to think of what sort of groups I should try…

• Jackie Johnstone April 3, 2014 at 23:35 #

Thanks Megan! That’s interesting that 1 post/week was doing better for you. I find that my overall weekly engagement and reach numbers go up when I post 1-3 times/day but every audience is different. And it’s important to remember that the reach on any one single post isn’t as important as overall reach for an entire week.

Brandon and I talk a little bit about how to find groups using the Facebook graph search function but this might help: http://www.jonloomer.com/2013/06/18/facebook-graph-search-business-examples/

5. Rebecca April 3, 2014 at 23:35 #

What an inspiring guy, there so many amazingly useful tips in here- thanks for sharing this Jackie!

6. Jackie Ramsey April 3, 2014 at 23:36 #

I really enjoyed this interview , I am in the beginning stages of my own website . Very good information for me to start the process.

7. Christiane April 4, 2014 at 00:11 #

This is so valuable. I will put that into action. Thank you both for sharing this.

8. Leah April 4, 2014 at 00:28 #

Super interesting. First of all, congrats Brandon on all your recent success! As a facebook group admin, it does scare me a bit with the fine line between spamming and genuinely sharing interesting stuff. I think it really depends so much on the page and industry you’re trying to promote. I can easily see how Brandon’s product, and tips he shares around gardening would be super useful, relevant and helpful for the groups he found. Translating it to my biz, does seem more difficult and that it could come off as spam pretty easily. Maybe gardening groups are less spammy than the web design groups I have seen. They have thousands of members and majority of people are their to promote themselves or spam, so I have no interest in joining. But maybe I’m looking in the wrong places! I’m definitely going to brainstorm and research around this idea some more though!

A side-note question: Brandon brought up not inviting friends to your page in the beginning. I totally agree that this is somewhat pointless because it only gets you likes, not engagement or clients. But he did say something along the lines of “big mistake” and I’d love to know if there is an actual negative effect of that? I certainly did it in the beginning, so now it’s too late, but I’m curious if I set myself up for harder work now because of it?

Thanks so much for the thought provoking interview!

• Jackie Johnstone April 10, 2014 at 21:52 #

Leah, thanks for making the point about spamming in groups. You definitely want to focus on ADDING VALUE (as in all your social media efforts) and not on promoting your stuff. The type of stuff you should share (and would welcome as a group admin) is stuff that answers a question people ask all the time, inspires or entertains people and DOES NOT blatantly promote anything (I think including the little mantra or tagline Brandon talks about is not over the line because it’s basically inviting people to check out the Page if they got value from the post). For you personally I could see Pinterest-style instructional images that show how to do something technical, images with inspiring quotes or even your #freelanceperks/#freelanceproblems images with the right frame (like asking people to contribute their own input) being great to share into relevant groups. Does that help?

Also, yes, he said “big mistake” because on Facebook an unengaged audience will hurt your post reach in the algorithm so if you are collecting people you know aren’t your ideal clients, they won’t engage and that will negatively impact your reach. I’m actually writing a blog post on this that will be out tomorrow! I’ll come back and post the link when it’s live.

9. Lisa Gillespie April 4, 2014 at 00:52 #

Great job! I’ve been asked by a couple of folks these last few days to “like” their business page – now I send them links like this one, to listen to first. THEN they can let me know if they still want me to “like” their page. :)

This is a great service to small business owners that don’t have the time to be an “expert” in every area!

• Jackie Johnstone April 10, 2014 at 21:54 #

Lisa, I love this! I’m writing a blog post that will be out tomorrow on why exactly you shouldn’t collect these kind of un-targeted Likes on your Page because it’s really a big problem (and common misconception). Thanks for spreading the knowledge!

10. Mariah April 4, 2014 at 03:16 #

Hey Jackie!

Quick question. I’m super private and wanted to know if I comment in a facebook group, does that spread out into my personal newsfeed?

Does it depend whether or not it’s an open or closed group? (I know private group comments don’t show up in newsfeeds.)

I’ll be honest, that would keep me from interacting with groups. Eeek!

Thanks :)

• Jackie Johnstone April 10, 2014 at 21:55 #

Mariah, if the group is CLOSED or SECRET it won’t spread into your personal newsfeed. If it is OPEN, it could. So yes, if you want to keep your group activity out of your personal profile newsfeed, stick to closed or secret groups.

11. Becky April 4, 2014 at 04:22 #

I am overwhelmed. This is a GREAT interview. How generous of Brandon to share his secrets and how wonderful of you to take the time to interview him and share it with us.
    I think I understood 20% of this. I’m going to have to sit down and break this down and start implementing them. I’m excited to do the work and see my list GROW! Thank you Jackie and Brandon!

• Jackie Johnstone April 10, 2014 at 21:56 #

Becky, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for all your feedback on was overwhelming from this interview — I’m putting together a little tech training to go along with this!

12. Nela Dunato April 4, 2014 at 18:35 #

I’ve knew groups are useful, but I had no idea they were *that* useful!
    Also, I seriously have to update my cover photo…

Great interview, thanks for sharing!

13. Val April 5, 2014 at 19:47 #

Content on Pinterest is not free and yours to share. If it is not your content, it is not your content. Taking someone else’s content and placing it on your page as your own is copyright infringement.

• Jackie Johnstone April 10, 2014 at 21:44 #

Val, I definitely don’t advocate for stealing anyone’s content. Sharing content from Pinterest as long as you link to the original pin or give credit to the creator is, in my opinion (though I am not a copyright lawyer), not copyright infringement. Social media sharing is not appropriating someone else’s content, but rather spreading it and sharing their useful creations with a wider audience. There is certainly a lot of discussion about where that line is on social media but generally I believe we all know and can feel it using common sense: if you are asking yourself if you should cite the source, you have your answer: give credit where credit is due just like you would with citations in an essay.

14. Michelle Cottingham April 6, 2014 at 09:05 #

Thanks for the great interview share! I took a lot of notes, which were basically a bunch of affirmations of what I already knew- but didn’t know where or how to implement. Keep up the good work:)

15. Janet April 7, 2014 at 00:30 #

Thanks Jackie! Just now getting time to listen. AWESOME info!! Thanks to Brandon too for taking time! It all makes perfect sense. I’ve noticed some growth by being in groups lately but never put much more thought into it. These are super great tips and will be using them. Thank you!! :-)

16. Christiane April 7, 2014 at 00:39 #

So, I actually signed up on Pinterest, started making boards (I have to be careful, this is addictive :)) and – now what? How do I get the pins to my FB fan page? I got only as far as being able to share it to my personal site. And it looks like it gives the whole text and also says, “pinned from”. I didn’t see that on Brandon’s fan posts. But maybe this is another blog post for your, Jackie…

• Jackie Johnstone April 10, 2014 at 22:01 #

Christiane, thanks for the questions! I am making a little tech training video to go along with this interview — I’ll come back and post it here when it’s ready : )

17. Anna April 8, 2014 at 10:41 #

Thanks Jackie, the interview was sooooo helpful. What I struggle with is to find my “Mantra” , but hopefully this will come in time too. Also, do you know how I can post into the groups from my FB buiz page? Is that possible or can I just share posts into the group?

• Jackie Johnstone April 10, 2014 at 22:05 #

Anna, when you are thinking about your mantra, think about your WHY and how you help people. So maybe something like: “A happier life starts with you, come check out Inside Out Counselling Service for support and inspiration”

Also, you can only interact with groups as your PERSONAL profile, so you have to press the share button on your business page posts and share them into groups as your personal profile (you have to be a group member to do this). I’m making a little tech video to go along with this post since many have asked the actual how-to behind this tactic! Coming soon : )

1. 12 Days To Fame - April 4, 2014

[…] So this past week I had the privilege to be interviewed by the lovely Jackie Johnstone (Yes, I know, I’M DOING HAPPY DANCES!!) So go on over and give it a listen here. […]