You don’t have a marketing department, much less a full-time social media staff. You’re a one woman (or one man) shop and you wear a lot of different hats every day.

Your time is precious and you don’t have time to maintain a social media presence on this network or that network just because it’s trendy or someone said you should. Your social media efforts need to have results! They need to draw in more subscribers and attract more clients in the easiest — and least time-consuming — way possible.

So how do you know which social network to choose? Which one will give you the best results for your business?

This is a question I hear A LOT.

And my answer might surprise to you. (This is not the typical “food bloggers belong on Instagram, businesses targeting women over 30 belong on Pinterest” type of advice.)

Watch the video to hear the one surprising question you need to ask yourself to choose which social network is best for your business:

>> Got your network picked out and ready to get started? The 4 Pillars of Great Social Media Content system will help you set up a strategic content strategy that will attract more clients! Watch the free training here.

I’d love to hear from you!

What’s the #1 social network in your business? What is your business and how did you determine where you should be spending your time? Please share in the comments below — and don’t forget to tell us a little bit about your business along with where you spend the most time on social media!

If you found this video helpful, please share it on your social network of choice (Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest buttons are right below) so other one woman shops can stop pulling their hair out trying to be everywhere!

, ,

21 Responses to Which social network is best for your business? (The surprising question you need to answer to find out)

1. Jen February 12, 2015 at 12:51 #

I’m all smiles knowing you answered a question just for me (okay, and all your other clients, too!).

And, after watching the video, I realize that I would rather focus on Facebook over Twitter, because Twitter annoys me, and I can’t say enough there, and I’m also realizing that my art and design background is actually a great place to make Pinterest work–but I think I’d rather spend time on Facebook first.

So, yay! And yeah, I’m totally guilty of trying to be everywhere. Great advice!

• Jackie Johnstone February 12, 2015 at 12:55 #

Thank YOU for asking the question, Jen! And glad the video helped you get clarity. Sounds like you have a good plan. Here’s to social media FUN & growth :)

2. Becky February 12, 2015 at 14:47 #

I love how simple and straightforward this is. It feels great to know I can engage in Twitter (my answer to #1) the most and that it will get me great results and I don’t have to master ALL the different methods of social media. Thank you, Jackie!

• Jackie Johnstone February 12, 2015 at 15:57 #

Yay Becky! Twitter can be a super powerful platform when you are at home over there — keep on trucking. (And check out our mutual friend Laura Husson’s Fame in 140 program if you want guidance/inspiration — she’s a Twitter genius :) )

3. Karen February 12, 2015 at 15:18 #

Hi Jackie,

Great video – loved the “permission” to focus and the recommendation to plant your flag on the social media platforms that you may not be ready for just yet. I was previously quite engaged on Twitter and fell out of love with it for a variety of reasons and now focus on Facebook and Instagram. But I did set up a daily magazine called The Curiosity Daily through http://www.paper.li. It posts a link to The Curiosity Daily every day without me doing a single thing – and I get new followers every week. Strange but true! When I decide to return to Twitter, I still have a community there who has been seeing some content from me.

So, for some social platforms, it seems there are automated content generators you could use if you want to register your username and generate some content activity while you’re focused in other places.

Love your work – looking forward to your birthday party next week!

• Jackie Johnstone February 12, 2015 at 15:58 #

YES! It’s crazy how much better just that “permission” can make us feel, eh? And yes, occasionally cross-posting come content from your main network into the place where you are less active is a great way to keep at least a little bit of content spinning — AND let people know where to find you :)

4. Beth February 12, 2015 at 16:02 #

Does being active in FB groups count as “strategy”? Because that’s all I’ve really done so far. So obviously FB is my fave, although I don’t have a business acct because I don’t think I’d get much engagement through that. I have a small presence on Twitter but I don’t love it. I LOVE Pinterest for personal use (see: woman over 30) … haven’t done anything with it for my business. Food for thought… thanks!

• Jackie Johnstone February 12, 2015 at 16:16 #

Beth – Facebook groups are GREAT place to meet and interact with ideal clients but unless you have your own group, you are kind of playing in other people’s sandboxes, right? It’s always a good idea to have your own turf. Facebook Pages can feel like a bit of an uphill battle at first but they’re important for Ads and honestly, with your quick wit and real talk, I’d totally Like your Page on FB! Also, Facebook doesn’t let your “sell” from your personal profile but you can share pretty much anything else so don’t be afraid to use that. Turn on the ‘Follow’ option so people can get your public updates without having to friend you.

5. Doug Pichers February 12, 2015 at 16:07 #

Great article. One thing: the link to the 4 pillars dens’t work (think there is a missing ‘h’ in the URL).

6. Tina February 12, 2015 at 16:32 #

Great video Jackie! It is refreshing to hear I can break the rules. The long list of social media do’s and don’ts is paralyzing. I love how simple you make it.

• Jackie Johnstone February 12, 2015 at 16:41 #

Thanks Tina! And yes, break the rules! Do it YOUR way. Your people will love it.

7. Rena February 12, 2015 at 17:54 #

Thank you for this awesome video, Jackie. I’m all about breaking rules + focusing on one social media avenue that feels right to me. I’m totally grabbing your social media content guide. :)

8. Devon February 12, 2015 at 19:46 #

I’m a Twitter girl. Looooove twitter.
    But, Facebook is growing on me the more I participate in groups. I’ve actually had “Create FB strategy” on my to-do list for the last few weeks…so stay tuned. :)

9. Trista February 12, 2015 at 20:39 #

You really got me thinking Jackie, thanks! I needed to hear this right now and you are absolutely right. I need to focus on the one I like the most and where my ideal customers are. It’s Pinterest for me! I know there are so many methods to getting more traffic that I’m not implementing because I’m focusing too much on FB and Twitter because they are the main ones.

10. Summer Tannhauser February 12, 2015 at 22:40 #

I’m so glad you’re giving us *permission* not to try to be active on EVERY social platform! I know at one point I thought I needed a plan to place to take care of Twitter and FB and Google+ and LinkedIn …. you get the picture. It was such a “job” and I hated it! Luckily I feel like my ideal clients are mostly on Instagram, Pinterest, and FB which are also my favorites, so I’m focusing there!

11. Arianna February 13, 2015 at 17:37 #

Oh Jackie!!! You just let me take a deep breath of relief, and give myself permission to focus on doing less, so I can do it better. Simplicity. So happy I watched!

• Jackie Johnstone February 13, 2015 at 17:45 #

Oh Arianna, I’m SO glad :) Thanks for letting me know it helped!

12. Meg February 25, 2015 at 23:00 #

The network I get the most out of personally is Twitter – I connect with some cool people and get lots of useful info in my Tweet Stream

But the networks that are the best for sending me clients and website traffic are Facebook & Pinterest.

I often feel that I should try and be on Google & LinkedIn too … so thanks for the permission to not go there (yet) …

13. Megan February 27, 2015 at 22:24 #

I love this! I had been trying to use Twitter even though I wasn’t really a fan ( I just have way more to say than 140 characters worth) and then my biz coach told me I should try focusing on Instagram instead. I was so happy because that’s my favorite anyway. It makes so much more sense! I’m already on it all the time anyway. :) I’ve actually noticed my Facebook likes have gone up since pushing my IG posts to it! Planning to start utilizing Pinterest for my social media too (one of my other favorites!)

14. Tony September 3, 2015 at 19:23 #

Thank you, Jackie. I took some notes, and went to your YouTube channel and subbed you there. This was very helpful. Much appreciated and keep up the good work!