What if no one shows up? 5 tactics to boost live webinar attendance

You’ve come up with the perfect topic for your webinar, outlined a presentation packed full of great information for your audience, set up the registration system, triple-checked the tech and put together a fabulous pitch but all you can think is: what if no one shows up?!

I totally understand — I’ve been there! The great news is there are some very simple tactics you can use to boost your webinar attendance numbers.

And even if you aren’t worried about showing up to an empty webinar room these tips are still important because, in my experience, people who show up live are:

• More engaged with you and what you have to offer
  • More likely to put what you are teaching into practice
  • More likely to buy (if you are selling something)

So how do you get more people to show up live for your webinar?

Watch the video for 5 tactics to boost your live webinar attendance (+ what to do if no one shows up!):

>> Ready to not only FILL your next webinar but run it like a pro from content creation, to tech set-up to social media promotion? Grab your free copy of the Webinar Master Checklist here.

I’d love to hear from you!

Do you worry about webinar attendance? Have you seen or used a tactic to encourage people to show up live that I’ve missed? I’d love to chat about it in the comments!

If you found this video helpful, please share it on your social network of choice (Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest buttons are right below) so other biz owners can stop worrying about presenting to an empty room!

Run your webinar like a pro!

Everything you need to do to create, promote and execute a successful webinar -- in one Master Checklist:

• Webinar Content: how to share your info
  • Copywriting & Creation: how to sell it
  • Technology To-dos: how to pull it off
  • Promotion Schedule: how to to FILL it!

, ,

18 Responses to What if no one shows up? 5 tactics to boost live webinar attendance

1. Ed March 12, 2015 at 14:12 #

Giving my first webinar next week so this was great timing. Thanks Jackie!!!

2. Sierra March 12, 2015 at 14:47 #

Honestly, I hold myself back from doing webinars because I don’t think enough people will show up. I just have to remember that it’s great practice for the future ;) Thanks, Jackie!

3. Janet March 12, 2015 at 15:05 #

These are great tips! One thing I didn’t think about was putting a time limit on your recording. Thanks for these! :)

• Jackie Johnstone March 12, 2015 at 15:48 #

Thanks Janet! You definitely want to put a time limit on the recording — many, many more people will watch that way.

4. Yoneco March 12, 2015 at 15:19 #

My first webinar was to an empty “virtual” room. It actually made me less nervous and I got great feedback on the recording. Wonderful reminder!

5. Amanda March 12, 2015 at 15:41 #

Loved this. I’ve been contemplating doing an empty webinar and just sending out the recording… just to get past the block of hosting my first webinar. Plus, technology. I know I have the audience size that would show up live, but the fear is always there! I love the time limit on the recording, though. :)

• Jackie Johnstone March 12, 2015 at 15:47 #

Amanda, you could totally just send out the recording BUT I’d challenge you to just go for it live because there is a different energy when we know we are live and can’t go back, start over, edit, etc. that’s really powerful for connecting to your audience in my experience! Even if it’s a little jittery and less polished at first :)

6. Rebecca March 12, 2015 at 17:35 #

This is a great video, Jackie! Loved your reassurance (the analogy to the webinar vs. empty conference room is spot-on) and your energy! And these are GREAT tips!

Some of them I have thought of or have done, but the others I never would have thought of in a million years and they are really genius. :) Thank you for sharing!!!

• Jackie Johnstone March 12, 2015 at 17:55 #

So glad it was helpful, Rebecca! I’m just a little bit passionate about people just *doing* it already – can you tell? ;) It’s SUCH a good way to reach your audience, as I’m sure you know!

7. Becky March 12, 2015 at 17:44 #

These are great ideas, Jackie! I’m doing a live call soon and am going to make sure to use at least one of these – I love people that download the recording….but I LOVE when people show up live! Thank you!

• Jackie Johnstone March 12, 2015 at 17:56 #

Yay! You are becoming a live call veteran, Becky — congrats! :)

8. Mallie Rydzik March 12, 2015 at 22:12 #

Haha my first 3 or so webinars and calls were to empty rooms. I figured my audience for the recording didn’t know that no one was there live, so I just pretended like they were.

9. Ophélie March 16, 2015 at 09:21 #

Hi, :-)
    Great tips, yesterday I did a webinar people did show up but only half of the people who had registered, so place for improvement here! I love the giveaway idea, and the having to pay for the replay sounds good, because I did not make any offer during the webinaire, it was jut pure content!

10. Marsha from YesYesMarsha.com March 26, 2015 at 02:43 #

This was really interesting and helpful, thank you!
    I ran a class last week, and it was the first time I had a time limit, and it TOTALLY made loads more people listen! Can’t believe I didn’t think to do it before.

i LOVE the idea of having a prize but only for the people who are live! Going to do this next time.

Thanks, Jackie!

1. Her Business Toolkit: Webinars, list building and how to manage social media: Jackie Johnstone Interview - Movabo Ltd - June 2, 2015

[…] I just love this advice, it makes it way less scary to just start doing it! Thank you Jackie for talking with me today and answering all those pesky questions so generously! And if you are interested, Jackie just happens to have great post about what to do, if no one shows up – so if you want to know how to boost webinar attendance, click here. […]